Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Weekly Hobby Update : 6-20-18

Hey Everyone!  Summer is almost here and the heat and humidity have already hit my area hard giving me the perfect excuse to paint in my nicely cooled basement.  On top of getting my paintbrush working more than it has been in recent weeks, I finally started recording some video for my upcoming YouTube Channel.  I have to admit it is a much bigger challenge than it seems at the start.  If you are one of the many YouTube creators out there my hat goes off to you and all you do to create content.  However,  I am not deterred and plan to keep pushing on to get my first video out soon.

I had a very strong need to actually finish I model which I haven't done in weeks to help get the ball rolling.  Thankfully, I had a Branchwraith in my hobby pile which had been primed a while ago and ready to paint.  I forgot how much I enjoyed painting Sylvaneth as all it is a lot of washes and dry brushing, but the models really take to these techniques.  I still have an Alarielle new in box that needs to be painted and while it will be much different from a simple wash and dry brush getting some Sylvaneth on the table for AoS2 sounds like a lot of fun.


A now regular section in my Weekly Hobby Update is the progress done on my Khinerai over the past week.  I did manage to finish up the skin tones and hair on the models which proved to be much more challenging than I expected.  I am still planning on having them done before the new edition drops and I can achieve this with a few solid nights of work.  Once the new edition drops I want to dive right into playing games and having every option available for the army all painted up would be ideal.


In a bit of sudden inspiration, I decided to repaint my Balewind Vortex I had originally done up last year.  It was previously painted to match my Sylvaneth oddly enough, but I have never put them on the table and I felt with the upcoming changes Morathi and her Medusa could put it to better use.  I wanted to try with some wet brush blending to pull together the magic themes of Shadow and Blood holding the platform aloft.  I plan to add highlights to the model much in the same way as I plan to add more highlights to the army overall in the coming months.  You might have seen a second Balewind in the background of the pictures that I plan to paint up in a more neutral scheme along with the rest of the Endless Spells once they are released.


Lastly, I want to give a big shoutout to my friends Mitzy and Jimbo, host of the Mitzy and Jimbo Show on YouTube for sending me some sweet swag recently.  Their show is truly wonderful and if you haven't checked it out yet be sure to do so and subscribe while you are there to get all their content as it is released.  It will also put you in the running to win one of there Barblades as well so you can open your frosty beverages in style.



I hope your hobby is going strong and you have checked out the now released Core Rules for the upcoming AoS 2 as we all prepare for the release on the 30th.  Also, I want to wish all the NEO's out there the best of luck for their Coalescence events happening this coming Saturday.  As you know mine will be running a week behind, but I am very excited to see all the pictures from events around the world this weekend.  Until Friday, Happy Hobbying!

Chuck Moore