Wednesday, August 29, 2018

The Hobby Table : 8-29-18

Hey Everyone!  NOVA Open officially begins tomorrow, but don't forget everything really gets kicked off with the Games Workshop Studio preview tonight!  If all goes well I will be heading down there in time for the event myself, but real life responsibilities (work) might keep me from arriving in time, but I am still driving down tonight at the very least.  Keep an eye on my Twitter Feed for regular updates from the Age of Sigmar Events throughout the weekend.  It will certainly be a fantastic event and if you are coming I look forward to seeing you there!


Having recently completed my final preparations for NOVA I have been able to get some of the side projects that have been on my hobby table the past few weeks.  The biggest project has been completing my Endless Spells.  I finished painting the models themselves, but I wanted to do a swirling magic effect on the base so they could be used by any of my armies and still look good on the table.  I used some Acrylic Texture Paste Medium and applied it generously to the bases.  Once it dried I painted it with a 50/50 mix of LEadbelcher and Incubi Darkness.  I finished with a drybrush of Ulthuan Grey to blend the base into the magic effects of the models themselves and repainting the rim of the bases.  I am very happy with the results and it is great to have them finally done.


Another small project I was able to knock out was painting up some old Dwarf Miners at the request of my FLGS.  I really enjoy painting Dwarf models as, much like Stormcast they can be done quickly and to a good effect.  Being a one-off project I got to play with some colors I haven't been using lately and it was really enjoyable working through them.  Sadly my FLGS had plans for basing so I simply put them on some old slotted square bases to make them easier to paint.  The other mini project was a model I got in my Adepticon in 2017 Swag Bag.  I typically keep these one-off models on a ledge by my painting desk for when the mood strikes.  The mood struck and I had fun painting her up in a quick fashion to relax a bit and paint something different.


The last bit of Hobby I got in was changing some of my Capital Palette entry.  I wasn't unhappy, but I also wasn't pleased with the lipstick and the shading on the face.  I took a few hours and made a few changes that I am very happy with and I am glad I took the time to change it up.  I am very excited to see how the competition goes in a few days and get some valuable critiques on the piece as well.


As I said if you are coming to NOVA be sure to say Hi if you see me.  It will be a great event and I am sure there will be lots of pictures and videos going up on Social Media as well so be sure to keep an eye out.  Until next time, Happy Hobbying!

Chuck Moore